Uses and properties of lemon on the skin: here’s how to benefit from this natural ingredient
Always available in our kitchen, lemon is a very versatile ingredient that you can use to enrich your recipes but also in cosmetics. Antioxidant, astringent and plumping, the properties of lemon on the skin of the body, face and hair are very well known. Here’s how to take advantage of all the benefits of this natural ingredient in your beauty routine.
Lemon: what is it made of?
This fragrant and bright-yellow fruit grows only in some areas of our country. Famous are the lemons of Sorrento, in Campania, and the lemons of Lake Garda, the northernmost point of Europe where these citrus fruits grow. The favourable position allows the fruits to acquire unique and distinctive qualities: high content of citric acid, vitamins A and C, polyphenols, antioxidants and flavonoids.
The properties of lemon on the skin
What are the benefits of lemon on the skin?
Depending on your skin type, you can get different effects from using this citrus fruit.
- Lemon promotes cell renewal and is therefore suitable for chapped, dull and less tonic skin because it tones and compacts the skin and plumps it up.
- The exfoliating and lightening action of lemon can help hide small skin blemishes and lighten dark lips. It uniforms complexion and makes the skin homogeneous.
- Lemon is also effective against oily skin because it promotes the regulation of sebum production, especially in the T zone. Its natural astringent and antibacterial properties can be of great help in fighting acne.
- Furthermore, the citrus components also act on keratin. That’s why lemon on the hair and nails makes them more resistant.
Natural lemon-based cosmetics: how to use them
There are several uses of cosmetics that prove the effects of lemon on the skin; however, it is important to emphasize that the fruit should not be used pure: lemon on the face, in contact with the eyes or with skin that is not perfectly intact, may not give you the benefits you want to achieve.
It is better to choose the best cosmetic products for your case:
- Creams and lotions for the face and body are ideal for normal and combination skin
- Tonics are perfect for those suffering from excessive sebum production
- Lemon-based shampoos strengthen the hair and reduce dandruff
Not sure where to start? Trust our experience: try Vitalake’s natural cosmetics from the Limone della Riviera line, all made with fruits from the lemon groves of Lake Garda.